Όταν ακούτε ελληνικά:
you get a smile on your face …
you dream of the moment you’ll find yourself at your favourite place on earth …
you feel a piece of yourself and your heart is at home …
I’m Danae Florou, born and raised in Athens - easy to tell, as I never cease to talk about my city.
I’m a sun-loving Greek teacher and a bit like your travel companion:
Ready to lend you a hand, cheer you up when the road is bumpy
and enjoy with you the best view in this language journey.
“Αγαπώ αυτή την όμορφη γλώσσα”
is by far the most common reply I get from Greek learners, when I ask them why they learn Greek.
And this is what makes you a Greek language enthusiast:
The deep love for the language & the country, the pure joy to communicate with the locals.
Coming from ενθουσιάζομαι (to be excited) it’s all about the passion and the desire to
be part of the language and the culture through:
speaking about things you’re interested in,
connecting with the Greeks who matter to you - or the ones you haven’t met yet,
expressing yourself in conversations.
SPEAK. CONNECT. EXPRESS YOURSELF: ΣΤΑ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ.
The learning journey is an adventure.
We might struggle with finding the right word to say or with understanding the funny expression
someone said in a company of friends and, ultimately,
with our own shyness and perfectionism.
this is How I help you:
By strengthening your vocabulary and everyday phrases & expressions locals actually use, using extra video tutorials, worksheets, audio and written feedback
By showing you new ways to practice speaking, that you can use beyond our work together, even when you don’t have many people to practice with
Through focusing & simplifying your learning, which gives you a wonderful sense of accomplishment
By acknowledging that language learning goes beyond words and phrases; by sharing with you insights from the Greek culture to help you connect with real people
By minimizing overwhelm which, in turn, increases your confidence about an actual conversation with locals
Curious to see if this works for you?
Join me for a Greek speaking adventure! Book a 1 - Week trial with me:
Things i believe about language learning:
I believe we learn best when we dare be & express ourselves and when we talk about things that truly matter to us.
I believe that embracing how the learning journey can be slow, takes you further than you ever thought.
I believe that connecting with others through the language you learn is the biggest fulfillment and the beginning of a fascinating journey within the Greek language & culture.
Aside from teaching Greek…
7 things about me:
1. I’m a mom of two little bilinguals.
2. Recently I came back to Athens after living in Canada for 6 years. The change makes me feel like a “native - tourist” and, usually, it’s fun to see both perspectives (although a bit crazy at times).
3. Coming back from Canada also means that I’m a bit more obsessed with the gorgeous, clear sunlight of Athens - at least, more than usual. Also with the sea. Of course.
4. A cozy, friendly 1:1 chat over a cup of tea makes my heart lighter.
5. Maybe unusual for a Greek, but I feel uncomfortable with large groups - loud gatherings are my nightmare - so you know who’s the person who hides in the kitchen.
6. I never stop learning languages. Etymology is my “secret” indulgence. French is my “secret” obsession.
7. I always look for great books. My definition of a great book is the one that: draws you into its world, makes you see all the sides of the character, stays with you forever. I love Ursula Le Guin. What would you suggest?
Professional related things you might be wondering about:
Teaching Modern Greek as a Second/ Foreign Language since 2004
BA in Modern Greek Language & Literature (University of Thrace, Greece, 2005), MEd in Second Language Education (University of Toronto, Canada, 2013)
Teacher and Founder of Alpha Beta Greek since 2017
EUROLTA certification, 2012 (European Certificate in Language Teaching to Adults)
Blog articles featured in Clozemaster, Memrise, The Mezzofanti Guild, Lindsay Does Languages, Hitoritabi Languages, among other language websites
Speaking English, French and also Spanish (basic)